Oats Instant Idli is a healthy way to kick start one’s day as it is considered to be a super food. This is a nutritious, healthy and hearty breakfast recipe that each one of you must try. Most of the time when we look for food which can be made instantly then we think that it may not be healthy, but the catch in this recipe is that, it is easy to make, fast to cook and at the same time is absolutely healthy and power packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals and all the nutrients that our body require to be fit and cool.
If you aren’t a big fan of oats, then this is a nice way to prepare and relish the food. The oats idli have all the goodness and benefits from the oats, semolina, veggies and curd. This highly nutritious, wholesome, high fiber, filling Instant Oats Idli is one of the healthiest breakfast food item that should be good for all. Idli is a very popular and traditional dish to south Indian cuisine.
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 55 mins
Servings:15 to 16 idlis
Ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for oats idli:
- 1 cup oats, quick cooking oats or rolled oats
- ½ cup fine sooji (rava or cream of wheat)
- ½ cup fresh or sour curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 1 cup water or add as required
- 1 teaspoon eno or ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 small to medium carrot grated Or 1/3 to ½ cup grated carrot – optional
- 3 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
for tempering the oats idli:
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (bengal gram)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, chopped or 1 teaspoon chopped green chilies (hari mirch)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger (adrak) or ½ inch ginger chopped
- 8 to 10 cashews (kaju) – chopped
- 1 or 2 tablespoon grated coconut (optional)
How to make recipe
preparation for instant oats idli:
take 1 cup oats in a grinder or blender jar and grind or blend to a fine flour.
peel and grate 1 small to medium carrot.
finely chop the ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and green chilies.
tempering and making oats idli batter:
heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan. on a low flame, add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal. stir and saute till the mustard seeds crackle and both the urad dal and chana dal become golden.
now add the green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, cashews and a pinch of asafoetida. saute for a minute.
add 1/2 cup of sooji (rava or cream of wheat). stir and saute for 2 minutes.
then add the oats flour. stir very well and keep on stirring often while roasting the flour.
- roast for 4 to 5 minutes. take this mixture in a bowl and let it cool down completely.
then add the grated carrots and chopped coriander leaves. you can also add steamed peas or finely chopped french beans or skip the veggies altogether.
add 1/2 cup curd. you can add either fresh or sour curd.
add 1 cup water. stir the idli batter very well. the batter should have a medium consistency. cover and allow the batter to sit for 5 to 6 minutes.
meanwhile, grease the idli moulds with some oil or ghee. also heat water in the idli steamer or in an electric cooker or pressure cooker.
now add salt as per taste and stir very well.
now add 1 tsp fruit salt (eno) or 1/2 tsp baking soda. for a less soapy alkaline aroma you can also add 1/2 tsp fruit salt or 1/4 tsp baking soda. the texture in this case is less fluffy and soft.
as soon as you add the fruit salt, quickly begin to stir the whole batter.
be quick and stir very well so that the eno is mixed evenly in the batter.
steaming oats idli:
pour the oats idli batter in a the greased idli moulds. try to use all the batter in one steaming.
place the moulds in the steamer/electric cooker/pressure cooker. cover and steam the idlis for about 10 to 12 minutes. a toothpick inserted in the idlis should come out clean.
allow the steamed idlis to stand for some minutes. then remove them with a spoon dipped in hot water.
serve these light healthy and instant oats idli hot or warm with coconut chutney or sambar.
vegan option for making oats idli recipe:
1. you can use a vegan yogurt like cashew yogurt or almond yogurt. cashew yogurt will taste better.
2.or just skip adding curd and add about ½ to 1 tsp of lemon juice to get a slight sour taste and also to help in the acid alkaline reaction.